[mythtv-users] Upscaling standalone DVD vs. MythTV

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at graze.net
Fri Feb 16 21:06:28 UTC 2007

FYI - Here's the initial review that I mentioned a *long* time ago in this thread.  :-)

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am9nY2pqZA/ATI_and_nVidia_crush__2000_DVD_players/

It looks like a good read as it discusses de-interlacing as well as the particular tests they used to measure each device / setup, but for those interested in the conclusion, here it is:

"We can be very clear in our conclusions; there is no need to invest $
2000 or more in a high-end DVD player. A PC with a recent graphics card
will produce a much better result for a lot less money. When looking at
the final scores of the HQV test, both ATI and nVidia graphics cards
perform a lot better than any DVD player we have tested. We would go as
far as to say to get rid of your DVD player and connect a media centre
PC to your LCD television!"