[mythtv-users] proxying MythWeb

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Feb 13 21:25:15 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 13 February 2007 12:53, Mattias Holmlund wrote:
> On 2/13/07, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > Errr. maybe I'm having a bit of a brain cramp, but when I try to proxy my
> > MythWeb machine through Apache with
> >
> >     ProxyPass           /tv/    http://tv/mythweb/
> >     ProxyPassReverse    /tv/    http://tv/mythweb/
> >     ProxyPass           /tv     http://tv/mythweb/
> >     ProxyPassReverse    /tv     http://tv/mythweb/
> >
> > I get the page, but no graphics or formatting. I'm copy/pasting from a
> > proxy I have already, so a bit quizzical at the moment.
>
> mythweb specifies some urls as "/mythweb/...". Your browser will then
> try to fetch /mythweb/... from your proxy-server which will fail. The
> easiest solution is to use the url /mythweb on your proxy-server as
> well:
>
> ProxyPass           /mythweb/    http://tv/mythweb/
> ProxyPassReverse    /mythweb/    http://tv/mythweb/
> ProxyPass           /mythweb     http://tv/mythweb/
> ProxyPassReverse    /mythweb     http://tv/mythweb/
>
> Proxying like this is very fragile and only works if the application
> is written with relative urls only. With the above trick, you can make
> mythweb work, but expect problems each time you try to proxy a new
> application.
>
> /Mattias

Thank you! This was the easier solution I saw before I got too tired last
night to try it. Yes it's the absolute URLs in MythWeb that are messing
things up and apparently it was a 0.19 thing that changed this - they were
relative before. I don't know why they were made absolute.

I found these links along the way that have another solution, a better one,
but my proxy machine is a bit too old to use it at the moment:

http://threebit.net/mail-archive/mythtv-users/msg12758.html
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies

This solution requires mod_proxy_html which will rewrite the URLs on the fly.
http://apache.webthing.com/mod_proxy_html/