[mythtv-users] Setting up a USB IR receiver (Streamzap)

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 19:59:31 UTC 2007

I do see the messages in dmesg when I plug/unplug the device.

I do not know where the HID input layer support is in the kernel config.  I
just tried looking for it and didn't see it.  Can you be more specific?

Also, upon further research, it looks like I need to make the streamzap lirc
module and then a dev/lircX device should show up.  However I'm having lots
of trouble with this.  The lirc-modules-source package is supposed to have
this module, but it doesn't compile.  However, I was able to fix the
compilation errors, but all it seems to do in the end is install some .o
files in /lib/modules/usr/src/linux-2.6.20/misc (lirc_dev.o, lirc_gpio.o,
lirc_i2c.o, lirc_streamzap.o).  I don't know what these files are supposed
to do, and their location is very odd.

So, I'm going to try removing the lirc binary package and build it myself.

I built and installed it, and now I have /dev/lirc, /dev/lircd, and
/dev/lircm.  However, /dev/lirc does not seem to be a valid device:
# ls -l /dev/lirc*
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 61, 0 2007-02-10 14:50 /dev/lirc
prw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 2007-02-10 14:50 /dev/lircd
prw-r--r-- 1 root root     0 2007-02-10 14:50 /dev/lircm
# cat /dev/lirc
cat: /dev/lirc: No such device or address

There are no new devices in /dev/usb or /dev/input or /dev/hiddev*

Hopefully I'm getting closer...