[mythtv-users] Setting up a USB IR receiver (Streamzap)

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 16:37:41 UTC 2007

This isn't really a mythtv specific question, but I don't know of many other
places to look.  I just got a Streamzap USB IR receiver, and I can't seem to
figure out how to use it.

My problem is that I can't get a /dev entry for it.  I think there's
supposed to be a /dev/usb/hiddev0 that is used to interface with the device,
but that file is not there, and I can't figure out how to get it there.
Everywhere I've searched says that I just need to enable the "/dev/hiddevX
support" kernel option and then everything will work.  Well, after doing
that, the device still doesn't show up anywhere in /dev.  I can see the
device being detected in dmesg whenever I remove or plug in the device.  The
device shows up in /proc/bus/usb/devices, lsusb, and usbview, but usbview
shows it in red, which, according to one site, means that there is "no
driver bound to it".  How would I fix this?

I think I've also read somewhere that I should be using "hotplug", which I
guess refers to the hotplug package.  However, if I try to install it, apt
forces me to remove udev.  Do I want to do this?

I'm running Debian Etch, kernel 2.6.20.