[mythtv-users] Where are you? was: PCI Express 1X tuners?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Thu Feb 8 16:36:13 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 08:23:09AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> >
> > But this points out a problem I've seen which seems to be getting worse:
> >
> > Many times folks post problems or questions to which the answers
> > depend to some extent on the location of the poster (NTSC vs. PAL,
> > legal issues, listings sources, digital modes etc.)
> >
> I agree; I try to post location, but sometimes I forget...
>
> One thing that would help is a list that might help sort out the
> alphabet soup, telling us which particular acronym applies to what part
> of the world.
>
> I know PAL, NTSC and NTSC-JP, just because I've lived in those three
> parts of the world.  AFAIK, those are analog standards.  But I am not at
> all sure of the various digital acronyms for any part of the world.
>
> So is there a list somewhere that says, Botswana: analog- ABCD,
> digital-WXYZ?

Wikipedia Is Sometimes Your Friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NTSC-PAL-SECAM.svg
(shows distribution of analog standards. You can generally assume that
any place using NTSC uses ATSC and most places with PAL will use DVB-T.
Still doesn't help with satellite systems (mostly DVB or
proprietary.)

-dsr-

--