[mythtv-users] Can not RIP DVD

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 8 14:33:23 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 5:08 AM, Josh wrote:

> Yea, I have a small DVD stack (5 to be exact) from my 200+ collection
> that I had to use my Windows apps to rip because Myth just pukes
> out on
> them. There is one pretty decent app that you can try if your all
> Linux
> and that is DVD::Rip. It has a lot of dependencies, but once you
> get it
> installed and figure out the interface it works very well, even for
> DVD's that are a pain in the ... From watching the logs, MythDVD
> appears
> to actually play a very minor role in the actual ripping tasks so
> maybe
> if someone knows what package does the actual "grunt work" (maybe
> libdvdcss?) and also pukes out on these types of DVD's we could submit
> reports on them? In my Windows converts I see in the logs
> "replacing bad
> sectors with blank frames" a lot on those DVD's so maybe that would
> be a
> good place to start... hhhmmm.

I'll bet the disks in your "stack" are all relatively new disks from
one of the more "aggressive" distributers.

Perhaps you'll find more info on some of the other lists/boards,fora
that discuss such things because, as you pointed out, it's really not
a Myth issue.

This is all totally hypothetical of course, as technically even
discussing the matter in the US could be considered illegal, or at
least a civil violation.