[mythtv-users] placing the DVD player far, far away

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Sat Feb 3 17:34:45 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:29:06PM -0500, Bill wrote:

> I've started doing this to my collection, but have found some newer dvd's resist this.
>
> May be stuck with a DVD player for a bit...

Me too. I want to copy to my hard drive for viewing, I'm not collecting or
burning.

I was using dvdbackup as patched for debian [1].

Then run dvdbackup followed by mkisofs to get an iso image on the hard
drive, like:

	dvdbackup -M -i /dev/dvd -o /some/where
	mkisofs -dvd-video -o title.iso /some/where/TITLE

But I hit a DVD with arccos protection [2] (some DVD sectors are made
unreadable), xine was still able to play it (or most of it).

I was trying vlc [3], and hit some problems (vlc crashed, and I can't easily
build from source with FC5), I don't think vlc can rip the entire DVD, but
it can get the main track. I will try it again after I move to FC6.

If anyone knows if or how vlc can rip the whole dvd please post, I haven't
found details so far on vlc forums/FAQs.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/dvdbackup
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_Protection
[3] http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

-- Patrick Mansfield