[mythtv-users] Mythtv on CentOS5 with PVR-350?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 31 09:37:09 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 07:44:08AM +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > mythtv at corwyn.net writes:
> >
> >> CentOS5, kernel 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5
> >
> >> However, whenever I start mythfrontend and select "Watch TV" the box
> >> locks up. I lose video, ssh sessions, and the box no longer pings.
> >
> > Your kernel is crashing.
> >
> > Make sure that you've updated to the latest kernel. For Fedora 8, the
> > latest kernel is 2.6.23.9. Make sure you've installed the latest ivtv
> > and the latest xf86-video-ivtv driver.
> >
> On kernel 2.6.23.9 ivtv is included in the kernel, Please do not install
> older ivtv over the in-kernel version, also as there are significant
> kernel interface differences between 2.6.18 and 2.6.23.

The OP mentioned CentOS5, where the latest kernel is 2.6.18-*.

And on 2.6.23.* having a PVR-350 run is a nightmare, as the fb kernel
module is *not* partz of the kernel and one needs to find properly
synced kernel ivtv sources and out-of-kernel ivtvfb sources to make
that play well. On 2.6.18 OTOH it should work out of the box with the
ivtv-kmdls. So the OP's bets of getting the PVR-350 to work are better
on CentOS5 actually than any recent Fedora distro.

Back on the original topic: mythtv at corwyn.net, you should get ivtv and
ivtvfb working w/o going through mythtv in order to see what is
happening underneath the hood. I would get on the ivtv lists and check
on the ivtv wiki on how to do the diagnosis and see whether the ivtv
or the ivtvfb module are creating this. Or maybe some other module
altogether like nvidia, e.g. try to run this w/o the nvidia module if
you were using that until now.

And if you get this straightened out, please do a summary reply to
this thread so people know what it was, thanks!

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net