[mythtv-users] New hardware coming

Barry Quiel quielb at ecst.csuchico.edu
Fri Dec 28 20:20:37 UTC 2007

I'm sure all of you are tired of the what kind of hardware should I get
questions.  This isn't one of those.. sort of.

I have an existing mythbox that was a proof of concept build with some
decent hardware I had around.  Now that I find myself buying parts to
build out my proof of concept box ( QAM tuner card, 2 1TB HDD etc ), I'm
going to build a box from the ground up to serve as combo FE-BE and also
do some other things ( AMANDA backup server, serve other web content
besides mythweb etc ).  But thats not really my question.

My question is about the vid brach and the openGL rendering.  Does it
use openGL to render everything including video playback?

If so has anyone tested with an ATI card and the proprietary driver
which supports OpenGL acceleration but not XVmc?

The only question on my new build is ATI vs. NVIDIA.  The reason I ask
is because I seem to recall a post about XVmc not being supported on
some of the newer NVIDIA cards.  I don't remember if it was a change in
the driver or a change in the hardware.  Or I could just be plain wrong
all together.