[mythtv-users] USB Pay Card reader

Ismo Tanskanen ismot at telemail.fi
Fri Dec 28 16:24:16 UTC 2007

I tried latest sasc-ng and NewCS card server. I also have phoenix.
It worked, but crashed time to time. Or it did not really crash, but
could not decrypt channels any more, and virtual tuners didnot show even
free channels after that. I got much card errors, reset etc. Maybe my
card is not well compatible?

I also tried other cardserver, newcamd, but it was not much better.

As I use myth to record shows almost 24h/day, stability is number one to me.

I'm grateful, if you can share your experiences with your setup and
stability.

-Kane

What stability issues did you experience? Last week I built a test setup
where I had a Phoenix smartcard reader and NewCS to serve the keys. Sasc-ng
acts as a softcam that talks with the NewCS server and creates a virtual DVB
adapter besides the physical one. Myth uses the virtual adapter for scanning
and tuning. This setup worked really well for my Canal Digitaal (Dutch
satellite) subscription. Being a test setup built last week I can't vouch
for it's stability yet, but I'm now working out how to convert my current
"production" environment to this one. From what you describe it sounds
similar to what you have tried and experienced stability issues. Is it
similar indeed? Any things I need to double check before going ahead based
on your experiences?

Jelte