[mythtv-users] Looking for a new card

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 15:34:26 UTC 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 8:24 AM, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com> wrote:

> > I have often seen this device mentioned but I don't understand the
> > advantage to using it in place of a PCI or USB device. Like a MythTV
> > backend, it needs to be located near a power, ethernet and TV signal
> > source. Presumably it consumes no less power than a PCI or USB receiver.
> > I assume it does meet the OP's requirements but what makes it better
> > than a tuner built in to the backend?
>
> The HDHR is silent, and produces very little heat, and as some cable
> installs drop in near your TV to be easy, some people don't want a
> noisey backend to be sat there too. In my house I can see a definate
> advantage to this type of setup, and I wish they'd come out with a
> dual DVB-T version.
>
> In another mind-flash, You could wire up a HDHR up a aerial mast in a
> weatherproof box, keeping the cabling to the source as short as
> possible...
>
> --
> Andrew Williams
> w: http://nikdoof.net
> e: andy at tensixtyone.com

Or you can put your frontend out of site and the HDHR under the TV. We
assume you have TV signal at the TV so thats a snap.  Then all you need is
to run your video cables, audio, and ethernet from the FE.  With the built
in Lirc reciever you have a PVR the size of a small book (or thats how it
appears)

MItchell