[mythtv-users] Looking for a new card

Andrew Williams andy at tensixtyone.com
Mon Dec 24 14:24:46 UTC 2007

> I have often seen this device mentioned but I don't understand the
> advantage to using it in place of a PCI or USB device. Like a MythTV
> backend, it needs to be located near a power, ethernet and TV signal
> source. Presumably it consumes no less power than a PCI or USB receiver.
> I assume it does meet the OP's requirements but what makes it better
> than a tuner built in to the backend?

The HDHR is silent, and produces very little heat, and as some cable
installs drop in near your TV to be easy, some people don't want a
noisey backend to be sat there too. In my house I can see a definate
advantage to this type of setup, and I wish they'd come out with a
dual DVB-T version.

In another mind-flash, You could wire up a HDHR up a aerial mast in a
weatherproof box, keeping the cabling to the source as short as
possible...

--
Andrew Williams
w: http://nikdoof.net