[mythtv-users] Why can't MythTV just keep recording?

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 02:23:35 UTC 2007

On 23/12/2007, Glen Hawksworth <glenhawk at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> In Australia the TV networks are notorious for running over time with
> their broadcasts. As such I have my recording profile set to over record
> by 3mins.

I am an Aussie too, I use start early 5mins and end late 15mins! The
networks suck here.

> Fair enough I have set it to over record by 3mins but why does it cause
> a conflict when the recording is for the same channel?

Probably because you are using "Hard padding" which the scheduler
*must* honour. There is an option for "Soft padding" which is called
pre-roll and post-roll (from memory) in the config screens.

Soft padding can be discarded by the scheduler if it reduces
conflicts. There was a softpad branch that a couple of people (Aussies
I believe) were working on to address this but it is probably out of
date now.

> Why can it not just keep recording? is there a setting I have to change?

There is a branch being actively worked to be able to record different
multiplexes from the same transport for DVB-T. This requires the
ability to write recordings to two or more files at the same time, ie
it will enable recording back to back programs with overlap.

I believe that multi-rec is planned to be merged prior to the upcoming
0.21 release (which is planned for some time in early 2008).

> Any tips to avoiding this issue? I am already planning on getting a
> second tuner but it would seem that this type of issue could cause
> conflicts even with two tuners.

A more concise answer is: Use soft padding, by another tuner, wait for
multi-rec to be merged.

HTH,

Roo.