[mythtv-users] myth2ipod/nuvexport

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 02:01:15 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 3:05 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2007 1:05 PM, Scott Harris <mythtv at webhounds.net> wrote:
>

> > Stephen Robertson wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > I wonder if anyone is having any success with exporting video to an
> > > ipod, specifically in this case one of the nanos that can do video if
> > > that's relevant.
> > >
> > > I have a setup working using the myth2ipod script which calls
> > > nuvexport for you.  It successfully transcodes the file which I can
> > > play with quicktime or on the ipod so thats all good.
> > >
> > > However the quality isn't great, specifically there is a effect that
> > > looks to be something to do with the compression.  It is most
> > > pronounced in a scene where there is very little change it gets
> > > progressivly worse and the corrects itself, which leads to a jerky
> > > effect.  If you want to have a look here is a sample output file.
> > >
> > > http://81.174.135.24/ipodfeed/1001_20071108163000.ipod.mp4
> > >
> > > I don't really know enough about video to know what options if any
> > > there are to fiddle with so any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > I've have a quick write up on how I did this to my new
> > 3g nano.  It is here -> http://blog.webhounds.net/?p=6
> > It basically outlines that I've had great results with
> >
> > /usr/bin/ffmpeg -i "%DIR%/%FILE%" -f mp4
> > -vcodec mpeg4-b 1200kb -g 300 -acodec aac
> > -ar 44100 -ab 192 -s 320×240  -aspect 4:3
> > "/video/ipod/%TITLE%-%SUBTITLE%.mp4?
> >
> > That write-up is awesome. I never know it was that easy to add a custom
> > transcode command to the GUI!

I put the ffmpeg formula into a script that basically converts all my
recordings into mp4 for playback in mythweb.  I put the converted files in a
separate partition and symlinked it to my mythtv recordings partition.
Works with the ipod internal player through safari as well as the  mplayer
plugin in firefox on my laptop.  Its amazing how the quality is so much
better than flash which I used before.  The behavior of mplayer plugin is to
download the entire file before playback so I can have three firefox windows
each with mplayer plugin running and since it is configured to use esd, I
can switch between windows or play them all at the same time (obviously no
practical use. ) I have a couple of machines doing the transcoding currently
and after about a week, I think its transcoded 60 % of the files.   If
anyone is interested, I can upload it.