[mythtv-users] NVidia Geforce 5200 and component output

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 20:13:13 UTC 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 8:31 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2007 6:04 AM, Brion Swanson <brions at usalug.net> wrote:

> has
> for
> > >
> > > Well the connectors on the back of the card would be a clue.
> > >
> > > Does it have three phono type sockets, ie the separate RGB video
> components?
> > >

> > Most video cards do not have the 3 component video plugs, instead they
> > have something that looks like an SVideo plug except it has six pins and
> > what plugs into that is a dongle of some sort (either a breakout into 4
> > cables - 3 component and 1 SVideo or a block with 3 component, 1 SVideo,
> > and 1 composite).  In any case, you'll likely need the dongle that came
> > with the card as dongles for other cards are not necessarily
> > interchangeable.
> >
> > If you don't have a dongle or the port only has 4 pins, then you just
> > have SVideo out.
> >
> > You can still buy DVI->Component adapters but it would be best if you
> > can find the original dongle (if the card had one).
>
> I dont believe any 5200s support component out.  Its only on the 6000's.
> before you buy a transcoder you may be able to snag a 6200 for $30 bucks.
> watch ebay and newegg.  It

Yup, they did. I have one. Also something to note, while the port on
the back has the extra holes to accommodate the Component out dongle,
it is also pin-compatible with standard SVideo, so you can plug a
regular SVideo plug in there (Which won't contact the extra pins), or
get the dongle to give you full Component output.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston