[mythtv-users] UPnP with a PS3 questions

Daniel Smith ralyon at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 21 05:50:30 UTC 2007

I have a backend with a Hauppaugge pvr mpeg2 encoder and a pcHDTV 5000
digital recorder. The backend is running Ubuntu 7.10 with Mythtv .20.2
on it. (I was using SVN for a while, but I found more problems than
benefits.) Please let me know if there is any other hardware info that
could be useful.

I can connect to the backend from my PS3 using UPnP on the XMB (without
Linux) and I can play files recorded with the mpeg2 tuner fine. Anything
that was recorded with the pcHDTV would not play audio (Sony doesn't
support AC/3 audio in a transport stream) and anything transcoded to nuv
will not play at all. So I created a User Job to clip the commercials
and save the file as an mpeg2 program stream using this:

mythtranscode -c %CHANID% -s %STARTTIME% -p autodetect -m -e dvd -l; mv
%DIR%/%FILE%.tmp %DIR%/%FILE%; mythcommflag -c %CHANID% -s %STARTTIME%
--rebuild --clearcutlist

I can use this for recordings from both tuners but playback is not
reliable on the PS3. First off, the files take about 30 seconds to a
minute to start playing and the backend will utilize a CPU to 100% on
the server. If I let the program play to the end (ff, rew and pause work
fine) then I can usually start another with no problem.

However, if I stop it and start a different recording thats been
reencoded this way than the backend will max out both CPUs and I get a
network error on the frontend. I will also get the same network error at
random times anyway. Also the Mythtv status on port 6544 no longer works
from any machine, however recordings still play fine from a frontend or
xbmcmyth. Restarting the backend will fix the network error, but it
shows up again in the exact same way.

Is there something I'm missing or some other info that might be helpful
that I can include? Does anyone know how to fix this to get playback
working properly through the UPnP? If there anything else I can try or
some way I can help with fixing it, please let me know

Thank you,
ralyon