[mythtv-users] New nVidia 169.07 and interlace changes?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 15:26:39 UTC 2007

On Dec 20, 2007 11:35 PM, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 06:53:43PM -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
> > Wow...check this announcement on the nVidia site:
> >
> > http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104706
> >
> > ...especially this note:
> >
> > "Improved support for interlaced DVI, HDMI, and HDTV modesetting."
> >
> > I usually wait until the drivers hit Gentoo portage before installing
> > them, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try that.
> >
> > My big question is just what that statement means about interlaced
> > DVI.  I'm hoping this might actually mean a fix for the age old
> > interlace tearing issues, but they may just mean the issues with
> > built-in HD modes not working (requiring custom mode lines).  the fact
> > that is specifically says 'modesetting' makes me leery that it may
> > only mean the latter.
> >
> > If anyone gets to try it before me (especially those with interlaced
> > displays that currently have to use de-interlacing) please report
> > back.
>
> The EDID "1920x1080" resolution finally work.  I no longer need to use
> the custom mode I've been using since I built my mythbox nearly a year
> ago.
>
> However, I still need to apply the patch described here:
>   http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/281528 (discussion)
>   http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2903 (direct link)
>
> to get interlacing without tearing (I also need to use Bob deint).
>
> I tried the new 169.07 w/o applying the above patch to the myth source
> but no luck.  With both Bob and w/o Bob I noticed tearing.  Once I
> applied the patch the tearing went away.
>
> So, as far as I'm concerned, the new nVidia driver is an improvement,
> but not quite perfect. :o)
>
> --
> seth /\ sethdaniel.org

Damn...then I was right...they only fixed the mode handling and not
all the tearing issues.  At this point I suspect they never will
either.  I think they're just going to wait it out until nobody has
interlaced displays any more.

By the way...what you describe about getting tearing without that
patch is exactly what I'd expect.  If you run with '-v playback'
wihtout the patch you'd see that it's just disabling bob as it thinks
you're refresh rate is half what it is, and you're running without any
de-interlacing at all.

Speaking of that patch, I'd still love to know why the frontend
reports 60Hz output as 30Hz when the output is interlaced....which is
what that patch changes.  I posted a question to the dev list about it
some time ago and got no response:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/302387

All I know is that bob and that patch are a must-have for me, and
apparently will be for the foreseeable future.

Tom