[mythtv-users] New nVidia 169.07 and interlace changes?

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Fri Dec 21 04:35:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 06:53:43PM -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Wow...check this announcement on the nVidia site:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104706
>
> ...especially this note:
>
> "Improved support for interlaced DVI, HDMI, and HDTV modesetting."
>
> I usually wait until the drivers hit Gentoo portage before installing
> them, so I'm not sure when I'll get to try that.
>
> My big question is just what that statement means about interlaced
> DVI.  I'm hoping this might actually mean a fix for the age old
> interlace tearing issues, but they may just mean the issues with
> built-in HD modes not working (requiring custom mode lines).  the fact
> that is specifically says 'modesetting' makes me leery that it may
> only mean the latter.
>
> If anyone gets to try it before me (especially those with interlaced
> displays that currently have to use de-interlacing) please report
> back.

The EDID "1920x1080" resolution finally work.  I no longer need to use
the custom mode I've been using since I built my mythbox nearly a year
ago.

However, I still need to apply the patch described here:
  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/281528 (discussion)
  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2903 (direct link)

to get interlacing without tearing (I also need to use Bob deint).

I tried the new 169.07 w/o applying the above patch to the myth source
but no luck.  With both Bob and w/o Bob I noticed tearing.  Once I
applied the patch the tearing went away.

So, as far as I'm concerned, the new nVidia driver is an improvement,
but not quite perfect. :o)

--
seth /\ sethdaniel.org