[mythtv-users] Playback issues with myth frontend over a wireless network

Brion Swanson brions at usalug.net
Sat Dec 15 21:45:28 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 15:19 -0500, Charles H. Chapman wrote:
> No, of course not.  Almost no one refers to the data rate on a serial
> link in terms of bytes/sec rather than bits/sec.  I assumed you were
> referring to bits/sec, despite using the proper abbreviation.

I know the industry standard, but quite frankly I've always found it
easier to think in terms of MB (or MiB if you prefer) rather than Mb (or
again, Mib) for transfer rates.  I've seen other posts where MiB is the
preferred units under discussion as well, hence the reason I labeled
them correctly.

Yes, the official HDTV transfer rate for broadcast must not exceed 19.6
Mbps and so even on a somewhat poor wireless g connection you could
probably still manage to transfer an HD program without issue.  The
biggest problem is most people don't have anywhere near a strong stable
signal and so it'll be up to the original poster to decide whether or
not he's got a consistently strong (enough) signal to carry his HD
programming (times the number of simultaneous transfers - multiple
viewers on different front-ends).

In other words as wireless usually is: YMMV.  For me it was sufficient
for SD but I grew tired of non-related wireless issues that continued to
plague my set-up (mostly due to the Broadcom drivers) and since I
switched to a wired setup I've not had any problems related to
connectivity.  Obviously you have had a different experience and so all
we can really do is offer our anecdotal evidence of what works and what
doesn't and let him decide for himself.

I'd agree with another poster who suggested using a tool to measure the
actual transfer rate to get a better idea of what sustained transfer
rate the OP is capable.

Brion