[mythtv-users] Adding new windows pc's to Myth setup?

Claude Boucher bouchecl at videotron.ca
Wed Dec 12 21:08:42 UTC 2007

Mike Dent a écrit :
> Hi,
> currently I have a combined fe/be mythtv box downstairs next to the main TV.
>
> At Christmas santa may bring 2 x new pc's with Vista on for 2 x children!
>
> [deletia]
 >

> 1) Install Linux partition alongside the Vista and have them boot in
> to this for TV
> 2) Install Linux in virtual machine, VMware etc running on Vista as the host OS
> 3) Run the early version of the Mythfrontend for windows.
> 4) Forget Myth on these and just run whatever TV/capture program comes
> with the tuners
> 5) Windows media centre?!
>
> Apart from it being cool for them to run Myth, what advantage would
> they have accessing the fe/be downstairs?

I'd go with option 1 or what Brad said, especially if they're young :)

I went dual boot (XP/Fedora) with my teenage son/gamer desktop. This
way, he can play his games and switch to Fedora to watch a game or some
movie.

I've tried running mythbuntu in a VMware VM. It works (sort of) on my
Athlon 3800+ but the performance is not that good.

As for the windows port, I'd wait for a while before installing it in a
kid's room, as the devs are still committing patches to it as we speak.
In any case, you'd have to upgrade your whole myth setup to svn because
of various schema updates (0.20.2 runs with schema 31, svn runs version 36).

Claude