[mythtv-users] OT: Interesting use of automated search of CC text

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Dec 11 17:41:33 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> I believe there was some sort of device that purported to blank the
> audio in case of "undesired" content. I think it used caption
> information to identify content.
>
> I've never seen this box, and I question how effective it could be,
> since the delay between the caption text and the audio is so variable.

I vaguely remember a commercial device that was supposed to do this.
I think people who tested it noted that it silenced the audio for a
rather long period of time, to compensate for the variable caption
delays.

There was also a company for a while selling a DVD player that would
skip around to automatically edit movies for content, based on pre-
written scripts the company came up with for various films.  It was
sold on Christian radio stations and the other usual places for such
things.  I remember the MPAA suing, but I don't remember the outcome.