[mythtv-users] OT: Interesting use of automated search of CC text

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Dec 11 16:43:01 UTC 2007

George Mari wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:

>> I believe there was some sort of device that purported to blank the
>> audio in case of "undesired" content. I think it used caption
>> information to identify content.
>>
>> I've never seen this box, and I question how effective it could be,
>> since the delay between the caption text and the audio is so variable.
>
> I found mention of this exact purpose in the mailing list archive from a
> few years back.  Nothing came of it at the time, from what I can tell.

That's probably where I heard of it. I seem to recall at least one
poster said it worked well, but I never looked into it further, not
having a use for an audio censor.

I'd guess it could maybe deal with entire scenes, especially if it
incorporated some sort of delay, but I don't see how it could, for
example, bleep individual words, there's just no way to precisely
correlate the time of the caption display to the exact time of the audio
content.

I have noticed that in some cases of "questionable" words the captions
seem to have been pre-censored. I'm not sure why this is, probably
somebody assuming that if you are hard of hearing you can't possibly
know anything about sex or violence.

beww