[mythtv-users] Debugging font problems

Ralph van Etten ralph at et10.org
Mon Dec 10 18:13:17 UTC 2007

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> I have some problems with fonts. They all look the same, even when I
>> change the theme and use different font names.
>
> Why are you trying to change them?

two reasons:

1. to experiment / create my own theme

2. currently they are not easily readable :

The OSD fonts look great and are easily readable.

The UI fonts are not. In the UI the fonts are too fat (or too bright?),
like the e does not have an opening.
For example when I use the MythCenter theme and select 'Utilities /
Setup' -> 'Edit Keys' I see two columns of text. The selected column has
bright white text which are not so easy on the eyes, the
unselected/grayed column is easy readable. And since the entire UI uses
these bright too fat fonts I thought maybe I can change them.
They are not overlapping, incorrectly scaled or anything, they just are
too bright or too bold.

I tried changing the settings on my video card (brightness, contrast,
hue, sharpening etc) but it does not improve.

I'm using an nVidia GeForce 6200 connected to my TV using SVIDEO. The
resolution i'm using is 720x576 @ 100dpi but lower/higher resolutions do
not improve the readability of the fonts.
The TV is a widescreen 100Hz flatscreen TV.
On a normal monitor, the fonts are readable though.
Distribution is Debian sid running only mythtv, no kde/gnome/etc.

I noticed various themes use different fonts but they all look the same
in the UI so I thought maybe mythtv can not find the fonts and was
hoping there is an error message when mythtv can not find the font which
was specified in the theme.

Thanks,

Ralph.