[mythtv-users] Status check/monitoring of mythbackend

Jay Mallar jaymallar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 17:53:14 UTC 2007

Josh wrote:
> On Dec 6, 2007 7:56 AM, Ismo Tanskanen <ismot at telemail.fi
> <mailto:ismot at telemail.fi>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a way to check status of mythbackend reliable?
>
>     My backend (svn) crashes sometimes and misses recordings. This
>     fortunately happens quite seldom.
>
>     I'm monitoring it with monit, but it does not seem to allways notice
>     that backend is crashed.  Or it is not "crashed" completely, I can see
>     activity on mythbackend.log, for example eit scanning and expiring
>     programs. But livetv, mythweb or recordings does not work without
>     restarting. I assume that some part of backend is crashed but not all.
>
>     - Kane
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_pcsk_to_Supervise_mythbackend
> <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Using_pcsk_to_Supervise_mythbackend>
>
> Josh

I've been using monit for some time now, and it has yet to miss a
crash.  Here's my setup if it helps...

#!/bin/sh

set logfile /var/log/monit.log
set daemon 5
set statefile /var/run/monit.state

set httpd port 2812
     allow localhost
     allow 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
     allow admin:monit

check process lircd
    with pidfile "/var/run/lircd.pid"
    start = "/etc/init.d/lircd start"
    stop = "/etc/init.d/lircd stop"

check process mysql
    with pidfile "/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid"
    start program = "/etc/init.d/mysqld start"
    stop program = "/etc/init.d/mysqld stop"
    if failed port 3306 then restart

check process mythbackend
    with pidfile "/var/run/mythbackend.pid"
    start = "/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart"
    stop = "/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop"
    depends mysql

You can also tell monit to check the http connection to see if the
server is still active by adding this to the mythbackend stanza:

    if failed port 6544 proto http with timeout 15 seconds then restart

However, - I found that mythfilldatabase cause this to make monit think
the backend had died and restart it.  You might need to play with the
timeout setting to your liking.