[mythtv-users] Live TV and Recorded TV playback question

Sean McLachlan sean at lithoflexo.com
Wed Dec 5 21:57:07 UTC 2007

I have an odd Live and recorded TV playback issue.  DVDs play just fine.

When I slow the playback down, I can see 3 frames of clear video, then 2
frames of what appears to be blurred, de-interlaced video.  I'm kind of
a newb here, so I'm probably screwing up my terms, sorry.  The bad
frames look like 2 images that have been combined.  If the subject is
moving his hand, you can see his hand faintly in 2 places for 2 frames,
then the next 3 are fine, the next 2 are blurred, next 3 are OK, etc.

The overall effect of this is a blurry and slightly jerky picture when
watching TV or recorded programs.  The faster an object moves on screen,
the worse it looks.  DVD playback is fine.
I've found a couple posts that suggest to check the V-Sync in the NVidia
settings and either enable or disable depending on your OpenGL Vsync
settings inside mythtv, and I'll try that tonight.  Currently OpenGL
VSync is enabled.  Deinterlacing is not enabled.

Are there any other suggestions as to what to look at?  I'm guessing
that mythtv records the incoming video at whatever rate the cable
company feeds it at, in this case 29.97.  I'm playing it back on a
standard CRT TV in the US, using Comcast coax into the PVR-150.  S-video
out of the 7300LE to a plain old TV.  The TV is the only display, no
other display is listed in the Nvidia settings.  Recording Profile is
"DVD Special 2", and my bitrate is 9000, 12000 Max for both live and
default recoding.  No transcoding is done after recording.

I'm running Mythdora 4, an nvidia 7300LE, a single PVR-150, 1.86 Ghz
Core 2 Duo, 1 gig RAM, a Seagate 1 Terrabyte 7200 RPM SATA.  Mythtv has
been updated to current so I can use schedules direct, kernel was
updated to whatever is current for FC6.  Nvidia drivers are whatever
Mythdora 4 comes with.  All updates came from the Yum repositories,
nothing fancy, no beta stuff.

 --
Sean McLachlan