[mythtv-users] S-Video Challenges

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 22:50:35 UTC 2007

I'm not clear on just what your problem is.  Are you seeing the normal
frontend screen and menus, but you also see a blue line across the top, or
are you just seeing the blue line and an otherwise blank screen?

I think I had a similar problem on my Mythbuntu system, where I saw the
normal frontend screen/menu, with a blue line across the top. I corrected
the problem by setting the option "TVOverScan = .80" in my xorg.conf, and by
tuning the "gui size" in the frontend setup (I'm not in front of my machine
right now, so I'm sorry if the syntax or terminology isn't 100% perfect; it
should be good enough for googling specifics).

If you're unfamiliar over-scan, my off the cuff definition is that it causes
the display size of your signal to be larger than the screen size, and it
puts the edges of the image outside of the physical edge of the screen.
This is how most SDTVs normally work, and is why normal TV always seems to
fill the entire screen.  It's a bit of a challenge to live with on a
computer monitor, and therefore takes some special settings on your
nvidia/tv-out setup, but with the right tweaking in Mythfrontend, it can be
used to make things look right.

I hope this helps.  If what I describe is not your problem, ignore this post
and try to describe what you're seeing better.

Josh