[mythtv-users] so where can I buy a Cablecard Set Top Box?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:32:17 UTC 2007

>From: "Victor Perez"
>
><snip>
>
>I looked all over the internet for retail Cablecard enabled STB and it
>seems
>the cable companies have succeeded in keeping their STB monopoly regardless
>of FCC regulations.

This is actually why the Sony DHG-HDD250 (250 GB) and DHG-HDD500 (500 GB),
both of which have been discontinued, have been fairly popular.  I sold my
500 a few months ago after building my mythtv system.  I use only OTA, so
it's cablecard slot meant nothing to me.

They are actually still available on ebay and the prices have come down a
lot.  The problem is that the prices have dropped in large part because
these units (as far as anyone knows) can only get their TV Guide (Genstar)
from an analog host station, so the future of the guide in those (and even
the time of day) is tenuous.  There's an FAQ on them here:

http://www.spiffspace.com/sonydvr.html

...and an avsforum topic (down for maintenance today however) here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=537711

Tom