[mythtv-users] Lirc woes on Edgy Eft [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Fri Apr 27 00:48:44 UTC 2007

Nick,

Thank you for responding.

> ...you may want a symlink between /dev/lirc and /dev/lirc0 (this
> is the most common device problem I've seen)

Yes, this is exactly what the problem turned out to be.

For the sake of completeness in the archives, in case others come across
this trouble, here is what I did:

I tried changing permissions on /dev/lirc, but that made no difference.

Then I made a symlink from lirc0 to lirc in the dev directory, then
restarted the daemon. Dmesg still reported the same error as before.

However, this time I checked /var/syslog, and it said:
could not open /dev/lirc0
default_init(): No such device

So maybe just adding the symlink and restarting the daemon was not good
enough. Not knowing what else to do, I rebooted.

When I was logged back in, I typed in "irw", and now I can see signals
from my remote! Dmesg also shows the lirc module being correctly loaded,
with no errors.

Thank you for that advice. You hit the nail on the head.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn