[mythtv-users] Lirc woes on Edgy Eft

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Apr 26 15:38:07 UTC 2007

MythTV users,

I was previously wrestling with a bunch of problems on a recent install
of Ubuntu 7.04, Feisty Fawn. I was having too many errors to repeat
here, so I wiped it all out and installed Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft.

That seems to have solved almost everything. IVTV works. USB Sound
works. Everything works.

Except LIRC. I've tried all sorts of instructions on the net. Most
notably these two:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Install_Lirc_Edgy
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/LIRC_on_Ubuntu_Edgy_Eft

Neither work. Despite going through each more than once, they always end
up in the same place with the same problem. When it comes to testing by
typing in "irw", I get the command prompt back with no errors or output.

Dmesg says:

lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
lirc_i2c: no version for "lirc_unregister_plugin" found: kernel tainted

These are more or less the same errors I was getting in Feisty.

The thing is, I used to have this same Hauppauge PVR-150 card in another
machine, running Edgy, and it worked fine then. I don't remember it
being nearly this much hassle to get it to work.

What will it take to fix this?

Any advice or information much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn