[mythtv-users] How can I determine proper audio settings

Mark J. Bobak mark at bobak.net
Wed Apr 18 08:17:14 UTC 2007

What I mean is, the sound card is hooked up to something (speakers?)
that makes sound.  In my case, I have an optical digital cable (similar
to what you might use on a consumer DVD player) to feed a pure digital
signal to my preamp.  You may have something similar, or, you just may
have speakers plugged in directly to the sound card, etc.

Just trying to understand what you're outputting to, because that'll
dictate what device (/dev/dsp, spdif, iec958, etc) you should specify.

In short, if you have digital out, use:
ALSA:spdif or ALSA:iec958 for output device and passthrough device.
Don't try to configure a mixer, it's bypassed, do volume control on the
device receiving the digital signal.

If it's analog, I think you want:
/dev/dsp for output device and /dev/mixer for mixer device.

Hope that helps,

-Mark