[mythtv-users] how to use EXECTV parameters

Robin Neatherway robthebob at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 20:11:33 UTC 2007

> Basically, the arguments are exactly as given above ("%s") in the order
> given.  Myth will automatically choose an available capture card and
> does /not/ provide a way for a user to request a specific one.

Thanks for the info, this is unfortunate for my needs. I wonder if a
patch extending EXECTV to EXECSOURCE <sourceid> would be accepted.

> The reason people can make games work is because they typically have a
> single combined frontend/backend with a single capture card or they
> split the RCA outputs from their game consoles to go into all capture
> cards or they move the connections as required or they just get lucky
> and the most-likely-to-be-chosen card is always available.

I see...

> If you need a specific capture card, you'd probably have to just "steal"
> it from Myth permanently--i.e. delete the capture card from mythtv-setup.

Sadly not too keen, I may as well just connect the cable box directly
to the TV in that case, but I take your point.

> However, rather than your approach, check out LIRC modes (
> http://lirc.org/html/configure.html#lircrc_format ) and lircrcd, which
> you can probably use to get the effect you want.  Unfortunately, the
> best documentation I've found for the specifics of modes is the LIRC
> source code (not a lot of people written about how to use modes).
> Setting up LIRC modes is about 40% of the way down my MythTV TODO list
> (so I can't show you my example configs)...

LIRC modes certainly interest me, and I have looked into them
previously, along with some brief tests. I can't seem to find a way of
switching between modes without pressing a button on the remote
control though, is there some way of sending lirc information from a
script?

Cheers,
Robin