[mythtv-users] how to use EXECTV parameters

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 17 22:08:35 UTC 2007

On 04/17/2007 04:11 PM, Robin Neatherway wrote:
>> However, rather than your approach, check out LIRC modes (
>> http://lirc.org/html/configure.html#lircrc_format ) and lircrcd, which
>> you can probably use to get the effect you want.  Unfortunately, the
>> best documentation I've found for the specifics of modes is the LIRC
>> source code (not a lot of people written about how to use modes).
>> Setting up LIRC modes is about 40% of the way down my MythTV TODO list
>> (so I can't show you my example configs)...
>>
> LIRC modes certainly interest me, and I have looked into them
> previously, along with some brief tests. I can't seem to find a way of
> switching between modes without pressing a button on the remote
> control though, is there some way of sending lirc information from a
> script?

TTBOMK, just with a button.

But, before you go to far with changing things, I recommend testing out
the xawtv/mplayer/whatever approach.  I think you'll find that even
without Myth doing the recording you'll have about a 2-second delay
between button presses due to ivtv's and the PVR-x50's interal
buffering.  So, the difference between doing this outside of Myth or
inside with LiveTV is 2 seconds versus 3 (in both approaches, it's still
annoying enough to be less than useful)...

It may actually be easier to branch the output of the STB to your TV,
then use your STB remote to switch TV source, request the show you want,
then switch back to Myth which could record it for the LiveTV-style
pause/rewind/etc you get with the VOD--just don't pause/rewind/etc
through the VOD.

For recording, set up a VOD channel (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/232857#232857 ) which
is only on the video source associated with the STB and schedule a
manual recording with that channel.  Why scheduled?  Well, without guide
data, LiveTV will break it into segments that end on the half-hour (i.e.
first one ends at the top of or half-past the hour, then the rest are
30-minute recordings).

Mike