[mythtv-users] Laptop Diskless Front End

Peter A. Daly petedaly at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:54:42 UTC 2007

On 4/17/07, Steve <MythTV at celeris-software.com> wrote:

> I have 2 laptops that can be used as diskless front ends, booting from
> either USB key, CD or PXE connected to TV via built in svideo and
> sound card.
>
> I did not come across any setups for playback only in browsing any of
> the MythTV documentation of mailing list archives.. is this even
> possible? If so what hardware/software/OS considerations are there?

KnoppMyth can boot directly from the CD into frontend only mode,  On my
Lenovo ThinkPad T42, it works with the wireless card and everything.

Or is this plan to re-use my old laptops just going to introduce me to
> a world of hurt, regardless of phase 1 or 3, and I should just cough
> up the cash for dedicated front end hardware?

I don't know your experience level with Linux, but it should not be too
difficult.  Try KnoppMyth first and see if it fits your needs, then as plan
B try to get the Linux distro of your choice running with mythfrontend.

-Pete
http://www.mythpvr.com