[mythtv-users] Laptop Diskless Front End

Steve MythTV at celeris-software.com
Tue Apr 17 12:42:55 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am a completely new to MythTV and have yet to perform my first
install so please excuse my ignorance.

I would like to setup up a diskless MythTV front end on one of my 2
spare laptops. While I have a box running FC6 that I currently use as
a fileserver, I do not have any TV cards, so I would like todo a
staggered install of a MythTV system if this is possible.

Phase 1: Existing stored media playback and DVD playback Only

Phase 2: Once I purchase 2 TV cards, use full MythTV recording and
playback capabilities via backend server.

I have 2 laptops that can be used as diskless front ends, booting from
either USB key, CD or PXE connected to TV via built in svideo and
sound card.

I did not come across any setups for playback only in browsing any of
the MythTV documentation of mailing list archives.. is this even
possible? If so what hardware/software/OS considerations are there?

Or is this plan to re-use my old laptops just going to introduce me to
a world of hurt, regardless of phase 1 or 3, and I should just cough
up the cash for dedicated front end hardware?

-Steve