[mythtv-users] Feature request: Have mythfrontend properly play non-Myth files

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Apr 15 03:09:25 UTC 2007

Sometimes, the DVD rip of a movie is in better quality than a
recording (especially off a non-digital cable channel like TCM is on
my system). However, in addition to viewing the .AVI file (I use
Handbrake on my Mac) in MythVideo, I'd like to be able to watch it
directly from mythfrontend's Watch Recordings while taking advantage
of the description, actors, and other metadata that's already
there.

Unfortunately, if I do the following:

* Delete the recording outside of mythfrontend
* Substitute the .avi for the recording
* Play the .avi from Watch Recordings

The recording plays, but on skips within the recording there are lots
of macroblock breakups, which I presume is due to the lack of a prper
seektable. However, rebuilding the seektable [1] doesn't help in such
cases. Again, these are recordings MythVideo Internal player plays
fine.

So, I'd love to see mythfrontend's Myth player be able to properly
handle the kinds of non-Myth recordings that its cousin the MythVideo
player already can.

[1]
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/236245#236245>.