[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:58:11 UTC 2007

On 4/5/07, Ben Lancaster <lists at benlancaster.co.uk> wrote:
> You get really bad colour banding, even at 24bit. Fast moving stuff
> is also not all that smooth with 60hz LCDs, from PAL sources at least.

You have my curiousity piqued, so this is not meant to argue, only to
learn.  But I don't see any color-banding issues.  I was using mythtv
with svideo for a couple years before getting the lcd, so I do have a
basis for comparison.  And watching dvds (SD) over VGA (at 1360x768),
appears to look at least as well, if not better, than my set-top dvd
player with svideo OR component out.

> Obviously, S-Video is no good for HD resolutions or sets, but for SD
> it will look better provided you have a decent TV out on the graphics
> card, and a very good cable.

And that you have a good scaler in your TV.  I've seen recent talk
that the scaling in mythtv isn't great, but I can't tell the
difference and I'm pretty picky.  Maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

> Best solution is obviously DVI or HDMI, but this has already been
> ruled out.

But DVI/HDMI's real difference as compared to VGA may be that it's
digital (and that's only maybe depending on card, I think), and
therefore might be better for longer runs.  For a short 6ft connection
to the tv, assuming you're running the same resolution, I'm thinking
they're gonna look about the same.  Certainly have in my experience.