[mythtv-users] Weird build requirements

Ben Lancaster lists at benlancaster.co.uk
Thu Apr 5 16:22:03 UTC 2007

On 5 Apr 2007, at 14:53, Willy Boyd wrote:

> On 4/4/07, Ben Lancaster <lists at benlancaster.co.uk> wrote:
>> If he's mad on picture, VGA's out of the question. You can get a
>> part-
>> way decent picture from s-video provided he's willing to spend big
>> bucks on the right cable
>
> Uhh.. why is VGA bad?  I'm running 1360x768 over VGA to my 42" LCD

Likewise.

> ...and it looks a heck of a lot sexier than svideo -- even for SD
> content.

You get really bad colour banding, even at 24bit. Fast moving stuff
is also not all that smooth with 60hz LCDs, from PAL sources at least.

Obviously, S-Video is no good for HD resolutions or sets, but for SD
it will look better provided you have a decent TV out on the graphics
card, and a very good cable.

Best solution is obviously DVI or HDMI, but this has already been
ruled out.