[mythtv-users] Questions about RAID

Andrew Davis andrew at nccomp.com
Fri Sep 29 17:25:47 UTC 2006

I just built my first myth box last week and set it up this last week
and previous weekend. I went with 3x250GB SATAII 16Mb cache drives in a
s/w RAID5. Additionally, I bought a single 500GB SATAII drive for
backups (note: these are for storage only... the actual OS, root
filesystem, swap, etc are on a two-drive RAID1 of 2x120GB SATAII, 8Mb
cache drives (though they're connected to SATAI ports on my mobo... my
mobo has 4xSATAII and 4xSATAI ports). I setup the RAID5 to use just a
little less than actual space available to ensure that the final 500GB
volume would be smaller than the standalone 500Gb volume. The result is
that its actually about 478GB of usable space while the standalone 500Gb
drive is 482Gb usable. I then ran an rsync job to copy everything from
the RAID5 to the standalone 500Gb drive. That job now runs at 2am
nightly in cron and sync's over only the changes from the RAID5 to the
500Gb drive... takes about 20 minutes to an hour depending on how much I
recorded that day or how many new DVDs or CDs I've added to my
collection. The end result is the peace of mind of the RAID and the
extra measure of a backup. I also tried connecting the 500Gb drive via
an external USB2 enclosure and updated the device path in my rsync
script and it worked just fine. The enclosure supports USB2, Firewire
400, and Firewire 800. When doing the same thing on the Firewire 800
port, it was even faster. This is probably a safer backup means, but I
have a one year running around the house, so its not practical right
now. Perhaps in a few months I'll do a wireless USB solution? :)