[mythtv-users] Questions about RAID

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 12:50:57 UTC 2006

On 9/29/06, OJ <ole at legaard.net> wrote:
> Hi
> I have started to move my music, pictures, and movies to my MythTV
> backend server. My backend server is a AMD64 server with 1 250GB HD and
> 512 MB RAM.
>
> Now I'm starting to worry about all my data. The problem is that it is
> starting to become a huge amount of data so normal backup is not an
> realistic option for me.
>
> I'm thinking of buying 3 250GB (or maybe 500GB) HD and setting them up
> with software RAID.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is RAID the only solution for this purpose?

if normal backup is not a realistic option then yes, RAID is the way
to go, in your case, I'd suggest RAID5.

> 2. Is it possible to expand this RAID array later (insert an extra HD)?

with RAID5, yes. its a relatively slow process but it works.

> 3. My DVD collection will use a lot of HD space. Any suggestions on how
> to reduce the file size (divX, ...)?

or x264, which is gaining in popularity amongst those with the CPU
power to decode it. For DVD conversions this isn't all that much
horsepower in all honesty and the quality difference is outstanding,
you'll basically get minimal quality loss at a great reduction in
size.

Sadly, the best software for the conversions is for windows (mplayer
can do it, but from what I understand, is not all that ideal for it),
the good news side of that is from what I can tell, the software will
all operate under WINE.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!