[mythtv-users] codec question

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Sep 27 07:57:38 UTC 2006

On Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 05:19:09PM -0700, Andrew Davis wrote:

> gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:
> > Andrew Davis wrote:
> >> Obviously installing MythTV installs all sorts of goodies for
> >> encrypted DVDs (libdvdcss, etc), MP3 playback, and such. But how
> >> 'bout for WM? If I have a movie in .wmv format, can MythTV play it?
> >> Are there additional mplayer codecs I need to get?
> >
> > it really depends what video player you're using ... if you use xine,
> > it can play any types that xine can play ... same w/ mplayer ... both
> > have the ability to use 3rd-party codecs (available on mplayer site)
> > ... as far as using the internal player, I have no idea, since so far
> > i've only used xine for video/dvd playback
> >

> I'm running .20 which I understand defaults to using mplayer as the
> default player for most everything. So, going off of a default setup,
> that means mplayer for me. I guess what I'm getting at is maybe a list
> of the codecs that are installed. Presumably the list would vary from
> going from source versus going the ATRPMS route (the latter being
> dependent on what codecs the package maintainers opted to include?

Yes, and it'll also depend on whether you have the necessary libraries
installed for some codecs.  You can get a list of the codecs available
by running 'mplayer -vc help' (for video codecs: -ac help for audio).
For .wmv you'll probably have to have the win32codecs installed - this
may well be an addon package, or (IIRC) they're downloadable from the
mplayer site.

Cheers,
        Robin
--