[mythtv-users] Neebie Help Please!! Mandriva 2006 mysqld and mysql neither working

Matt Rude mythtv-users at mattrude.com
Tue Sep 26 21:42:20 UTC 2006

   Quoting scott at tbwifi.ca:

>>     > I have been trying to deal with problems that I am having
with
>> MySQL on
>>> Mandriva 2006. I am using MySQL for Mythtv. After installing and
>>> uninstalling various versions of MySQL trying to make things work
>> now
>>> have version 4 installed. 40-4.0.26-1 to be exact. I've installed
>> MySQL,
>>> MySQL-client, and MySQL common. Now I believe that I have a mess
>> because
>>> in services there is a listing for mysql and mysqld. Neither of
>> them seem
>>> to want to start or stop cleanly and show up as [FAILED] in MCC
>> services.
>>> How do I clean things up so that I can start the server and
connect
>> to it?
>>> Note if you didn't figure it out I am definitely a newbee to this
>> stuff,
>>> but I was albe to make things work on my previous installation of
>> Mythtv.
>>> If anyone has some pointers I would sure appreciate it. I am at a
>>> standstill.
>>>
>>> Thx!
>>> Scott
>>>

>>     Scott-
>>
>>     So is your mysql server running (try  #/sbin/service mysqld
status)
>> if your server is running then you can try to login manualy with a
>> command like:  $mysql -h localhost -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
If
>> you can log into the mysql server then your goldin. if the server
is
>> not running, what are the logs?  can you reinstall mysql
(uninstall &
>> reinstall)?  do you have anydata in the mysql server at this time?
>>
>>     let me know
>>
>>     -Matt

> Thanks for the reply...
>
> Is server running --> mysqld dead but subsys locked
> Attempt to login  --> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL
server
>           through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)
> Logs --> assuming that you mean /var/log/mysqld/mysqld.log...it is
empty
> I have already uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and even
installed
> an older version of mysql thinking that was the problem.  I also
deleted
> the files in the mysql directory thinking that the permissions file
my
> offering some trouble with logging in.  I did that before a fresh
> re-installation.  Perhpas I corrupted something.  Note that the
only way a
> can seem to clear things up after trying to start up the server
> unsuccessfully is with a reboot.  I'm sure that's just the newbee
talking.
>   Surely there is another method.  Anyhow, I'm still hanging and any
> further advice is definitely appreciated.  BTW the database is
emply as I
> haven't been able to log in to configure it yet.

   Scott-

   when you say your "uninstalling" mysql-server how are you doing
it?  try something like #yum remove mysqld (or what ever the packet
name is) that will remove the server then you can try and install it
#yum install mysqld

   apt will work also but im much more of a yum guy

   -Matt