[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 15:07:28 UTC 2006

James Pifer wrote:
>> How about a new processor? A 2500 sempron can be had for $50 US and
>> most likely will work in your mobo as long as you have an option for a
>> 333 or (166) MHz front side bus. BTW, on ebay you probably can get
>> this one for 1/2 the price...
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104204
>>
>> John
>>

> Answering a couple posts here...
>
> I have looked into this, but haven't taken that step. If I knew that it
> would fix my problems I would definitely do it. My motherboard is a
> K7SEM.
>
> I have already split the frontend to a standalone frontend, same thing.
>
> I'll try some of the suggested settings and see what happens.
>
> Thanks,
> James

Before you buy a new proc you might as well overclock the one you have
to see if that _really_ is the problem.  Honestly I would be shocked if
it was - unless you're trying to watch mpg4.  I have a frontend with a
1700+ (1.4GHz) in it and a radeon 9600 with the free open source
drivers.  It can do 640x480 at 7500KBps with no stuttering and about 30%
usage (this is without any video acceleration like xvmc).  If you have
40% usage I would be in doubt of the processor being the problem.  For
real time jpeg, which I was using a few months ago, it has the same
usage.  Also, 480x480 mpg4 was working well with 50% usage or something
a little below that.  Maybe you have too much traffic on your network;
are you using wireless (it works fine for me but drivers could be a
hidden problem)?
Also, I had major stuttering using TVout on my old 9600pro until I got
the fglrx drivers and XV working.  However, it was obvious where the
problem was because the processor was pegged at 100%, which told me the
problem was the graphics card, not the processor of course.
Raphael