[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 14:48:24 UTC 2006

> I'd make sure the problem is not simply disk transfer rate first. The
> folks who have "solved" the problem by upgrading have probably upgraded the
> mobo as well, thus perhaps solving an undiagnosed problem of this type and
> only thought it was the faster CPU that did it.

If it is truely a disk problem there are several things one can do to tweak
performace without upgrading any hardware. One is change the default
scheduler to cfq or deadline.

http://linux.inet.hr/cfq_to_become_the_default_i_o_scheduler.html

Others are change the read ahead cache size.
On a 2.6 kernel this can be done with blockdev

And finally possibly changing the filesystem or even the layout. If you are
using lvm you may gain performace by upgrading. And finally adding 256 or
512 mb of memory may help.

John