[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

Jason fearthepenguin at jasonandjessi.com
Tue Sep 26 14:19:21 UTC 2006

For what it's worth,   my frontend is a Celeron 2.2ghz that I'm running
at 1.6ghz (yup, under clocked) with 512M of RAM. I just have an MX400
video card in the AGP slot and I use the onboard sound. It plays
everything very well, stays nice and cool too.  The backend is where all
the HP needs to be,  try separating your backend off your frontend. My
backend is one of 6 virtual machines inside a Celeron 2.4ghz running
Xen. It has 3 PVR-250s, 512 Meg of RAM and can stream live tv out of two
of the cards and record/commercial flag off the 3rd without a problem.
The only problem I've ever had performance wise on the backend is IRQ
contention because I also run Asterisk with an FXO card in that same
chassis in another VM. That FXO card likes those IRQs.

Jason
The place where you made your stand never mattered,
only that you were there... and still on your feet