[mythtv-users] How much horespower for frontend?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Sep 26 14:01:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 08:13 -0500, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> I was running Myth on FC5 on a P4-about a 1 ghz processor and 512 meg
> ram.  I was having the same issue as you are with it 'stuttering'.
> When I ran top, the process (myth) was about 20% cpu, and nothing more
> than 40%.
>
> I upgraded my box to a athalon dual core 64 bit processor and a gig of
> ram.  The real reason for the upgrade was because the myth box wasn't
> my open machine and my hard drive was failling.  Anyways, I decided to
> go with Ubuntu and dump FC5.
>
> It was quite the adventure, but in the end, my video doesn't stutter
> anymore.  I don't know if it was Fedora that was doing it, the
> hardware, or some setting.  But something seemed to help it out.
>

> Good Luck,
> Mike

Thanks for the info. It's disappointing, but what I was afraid of. I
think I've always had the issue but it was not as obvious until I tried
watching LiveTV, particularly sports, on TVOut. Recordings of regular TV
shows aren't too bad.

The WAF is low, but buying a new PC, or even mobo, cpu, and ram are not
in the cards. I may have to go back to my mediamvp for a while... :-(

James