[mythtv-users] Neebie Help Please!! Mandriva 2006 mysqld and mysql neither working

Matt Rude mythtv-users at mattrude.com
Mon Sep 25 16:32:43 UTC 2006

    Quoting scott at tbwifi.ca:

   > I have been trying to deal with problems that I am having with
MySQL on
> Mandriva 2006. I am using MySQL for Mythtv. After installing and
> uninstalling various versions of MySQL trying to make things work I
now
> have version 4 installed. 40-4.0.26-1 to be exact. I've installed
MySQL,
> MySQL-client, and MySQL common. Now I believe that I have a mess
because
> in services there is a listing for mysql and mysqld. Neither of
them seem
> to want to start or stop cleanly and show up as [FAILED] in MCC
services.
> How do I clean things up so that I can start the server and connect
to it?
> Note if you didn't figure it out I am definitely a newbee to this
stuff,
> but I was albe to make things work on my previous installation of
Mythtv.
> If anyone has some pointers I would sure appreciate it. I am at a
> standstill.
>
> Thx!
> Scott

   Scott-

   So is your mysql server running (try  #/sbin/service mysqld status)
if your server is running then you can try to login manualy with a
command like:  $mysql -h localhost -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg  If
you can log into the mysql server then your goldin. if the server is
not running, what are the logs?  can you reinstall mysql (uninstall &
reinstall)?  do you have anydata in the mysql server at this time?

   let me know

   -Matt