[mythtv-users] Confused about audio and a couple of other things

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 00:02:14 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Russell Jones <rjones at eggycrew.com> wrote:

> So, say that I have DirecTV but I do not have the DVR for it. The DirecTV
> set top box has the composite video and audio outputs that come out of the
> set top box and into my tv. (the yellow, red, and white ones). From what I
> can see, The WinTV PVR 150 has the yellow composite video input, and a
> Line-In that is the standard headphone jack. Would getting a cable converter
> from the yellow/red jacks to a regular headphone jack and plugging it into
> the line-in on the card give me stereo audio correctly?

Depends on which 150 you get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=PVR+150&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all
Some have the actual RCA inputs, others have a 1/8" stereo jack.  If
you get one with the 1/8" stereo, then yes, using RCA to 1/8" stereo
adapter (or cable) should work. correctly.

> What about the guide. Will MythTV work correctly with the directv guides?

Assumingly so.  You can check out what labs.zap2it.com has for your
channel lineup to see if it's correct for you.

> Also, what about TV-Out. I do not believe I saw any connections for actually
> taking the signal out of the card, or would that be coming out of my regular
> video card with the computer if I want it to go to my TV.

TV-Out.  Depends on what your TV accepts as 'input', but either way,
yeah, it comes from your videocard (unless you get a PVR-350, which
has video output built into it, but doesn't work for HDTV output).
Your videocard will need to have the type of connector your TV
accepts, or you will have to find a signal transcoder to change it to
a type your TV accepts (or get a different videocard that has a video
output your TV accepts as input).