[mythtv-users] Way to turn off opengl via command line (.20)?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 23 19:47:32 UTC 2006

On 09/23/06 15:31, Allan Risk wrote:

>>> I had to do this last night. I THINK it's: mythfrontend -O
>>> ThemePainter=qt
>>>
>>Exactly.  And you can easily run it with this option only when using VNC
>>to get the best of both worlds.
>>
>Could you elaborate on this please.
>
>I currently have vnc setup to connect to the same display as seen on the TV
>output.
>This has worked great so far, but it is necessary to leave opengl off.

I can't elaborate on the VNC part (because I don't use it), but here's
what I do...

In the mythfrontend settings, I enabled the OpenGL theme painter.  When
I start mythfrontend normally (i.e. in the script that's run when X
starts), I just say "mythfrontend >> /home/mythtv/log/mythfrontend.log
2>&1" and get a beautiful OpenGL display.  When I redisplay over ssh, I
use "mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=qt" (possibly with logging) and get a
fast display without OpenGL--even at 1280x1024.

(However, it's far more common for me to run mythtv-setup over SSH--also
with the "-O ThemePainter=qt" option--since I can't do video playback
over SSH, and I pretty much only use MythTV and MythStream (the latter
of which doesn't require any display).)

Mike