[mythtv-users] HD Homerun and mythtv?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 23 15:44:10 UTC 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 7:22 AM, William Munson wrote:

> I am thinking about getting a hdhomerun box for OTA signals here in
> the
> usa. Is anyone successfully using one of these with 0.20? How does the
> box perform in weak signal or multipath situations? I am unfortunately
> about 60 miles from the nearest tv transmitter and am not willing
> to pay
> for cable tv just to get the locals. (They do not pass the
> sidebands in
> standard analog cable and want me to buy their settop box for hd.

Unless you have unique terrain conditions 60 miles is really pushing
it for ATSC reception in the UHF band (I know, I'm 100 miles from
Denver and literally line-of-site from Lookout Mountain, but still
can't get much, although VHF analog works quite well).

I'm not sure what you mean by "sidebands", you must mean something
other than the modulation products of AM, because without passing
them there would be no information. NTSC uses the "vestigial
sideband" scheme to conserve spectrum somewhat, but I suspect you
mean something totally different ??

Your cable system no doubt uses QAM for HD, thus wanting you to use
their STB, but the OTAs are usually unencrypted and can be received
with an HD-3000 card or similar, but of course you'd still have to
pay for basic cable. I agree that paying for "free" TV is
aggravating, but cable systems usually have a low-cost tier with just
the OTAs, usually not advertised much.

I don't know anything specific about the HR box, but no tuner can
receive a signal that isn't there in sufficient strength for decent
reception.

(Your script continues to work wonderfully BTW).