[mythtv-users] MythArchive: Use cutpoints as chapter markers?

Kevin Slater kevin.slater at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:09:40 UTC 2006

On 9/18/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 10:34 PM, Peter Schachte wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 02:21:59PM -0400, Kevin Slater wrote:
> >> I don't know how difficult this would be, but I tape a lot of
> >> movies from
> >> sources that have no commercials. It would be awesome if it were
> >> possible to go
> >> in an put in a single frame cut point and have that be used for
> >> the chapter
> >> marker. This would allow you to control the chapters much better.
> >
> > One problem you'd have with that is that Myth's commercial editor
> > doesn't want to let you put cut points too close together.  If you
> > select "delete after this frame," and then move forward a frame and
> > hit enter, the menu will allow you to delete the cut point you just
> > placed, or move the cut point to the new position, but it won't let
> > you "delete before this frame."
> >
> > I've found you can do it, though, but putting the first cut point way
> > too early (I think 30 seconds or so is about right), then move forward
> > say 10 seconds, hit enter, and choose the "move cut point to this
> > position" menu item.  Keep doing this until you get it where you want
> > it.  I found that 1) I couldn't just move it where I wanted in one go,
> > as it would tend to move the other cut point; and 2) it works better
> > to put the end cut point where you want and slide the start cut point
> > into place than the opposite.
> >
> > This is all under 0.19-fixes; perhaps 0.20's edit menu includes an
> > item to "delete before this frame even though it's pretty close to
> > another cut point."
>
> Why would you want chapter markers a frame or two apart? I second the
> notion that it would be great to allow commflag marks as chapter
> markers. In fact, I sort of assumed it was this way when I was
> burning my first DVD.

Well I don't really want chapter markers a frame ro two apart, I was just
trying to think of a marking system that wouldn't need anything new added to
the underlying system that could be picked up by mytharchive. I figured if
you cut a single frame during a scene change (normal place for a chapter on
a DVD), it wouldn't affect the final product too much.

...Kevin